Christians and Muslims, Agreements and Differences
A dialogue between Dr. James White, Director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, and Dr. Yasir Qadhi, Dean of AlMaghrib Institute.
[HT: John Samson]
Dr. Michael Haykin on his book “The Christian Lover: The Sweetness of Love and Marriage in the Letters of Believers” [35 min. vid.]:
Thabiti Anyabwile on his book “The Gospel for Muslims: An Encouragement to Share Christ with Confidence” [33 min. vid.]:
From the event we previously posted. These are some of James White’s most popular lectures:
The Forgotten Trinity | 1:52:43
Romans 9: The Potter’s Freedom | 1:38:18
Homosexuality and Tyranny | 1:26:57
Understanding Islam | 1:02:46
Although the event said he would be answering question on Islam and Christian Baptism the questions were much more varied.
• 00:00 – 03:54 Intro by Chris Arnzen (he fills us in that Iron Sharpens Iron will be relaunched in 3-4 weeks!)
• 03:55 – 10:16 James White’s opening words on focusing on Christ not any “celebrity” (here is the video he mentions “James White’s scary 5 year prediction for the church“)
• 10:17 – 18:51 “Do you believe Theonomy to be a heresy…?” (here is his “Holiness Code for Today” series that he mentions)
• 18:52 – 25:17 “How should we approach gays who call themselves Christians?” (here is the debate mentioned Debate: Can You Be Gay & Christian? – James White & Justin Lee)
• 25:18 – 29:00 “When a homosexual says, ‘We all have our pet sin’ how do you approach that?”
• 29:01 – 30:49 “While many Christians speak of it being a reality that same-sex attraction exist amongst truly born-again people, why is it that very few dare to say the same of some of the abominations recorded in the Scriptures such as bestiality and necrophilia?”
• 30:50 – 34:47 “What part, if any, do you believe that Islam plays in the end times?”
• 34:48 – 41:31 “If you agree that the Abrahamic Covenant is a covenant of promise to believers and their children and is an eternal covenant, so how is the New Covenant any different?”
• 41:32 – 45:49 “In an interview with a King James Only guy you made the comment about Paul quoting an Old Testament variant… would you please comment on how that would affect the Word of God being perfect.” (here is the interview that was being discussed with Steve Anderson)
• 45:50 – 51:38 “How great of a danger do you see presented by the ‘Prosperity Gospel’ as compared to other religious or spiritual movements?”
• 51:39 – 55:22 “How or should we condemn Unitarianism and Modalism as damnable heresy even if it maintains a view of Christ’s deity when at the same time many Christian apologist recognize that the majority of Evangelicals in the pew could not Biblically define the Trinity without slipping into a Modalist [or Unitarian] example.”
• 55:45 – 64:00 “How would you teach the best way to approach a Muslim with the Gospel? …”
Dr. James White is coming to Sovereign Grace Family Church to answer questions regarding Islam and Christian Baptism. The doors will open at 8:15 am and the service will begin at 9:00 am.
Solid Ground Christian Book store will be on site selling books before and after the service. Coffee will be served prior to service at 8:15 am.
All are welcome to hear Dr. White’s presentation.
There will be a Muslim dialogue with James White and Imam Musri on Saturday, March 21st about the Bible and the Quran. This will be @ Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando, FL.
1 pm Part 1 Is the Bible Gods Word?
3 pm Part 2 Is the Quran Gods Word?
Registration (required): faithdialogue2015.eventbrite.com
We are asking that you donate $5 to Alpha & Omega Ministries (Dr. White’s Ministry) for every electronic ticket that you register for to help cover Dr. White’s expenses for this dialogue. See website below for information and donation: http://store.aomin.org/donation.html
[source: Spurgeon Fellowship of FL.]
“They supplicate what they worship and die upon their paganism.”
These are the subtitled words shown in the 5 minute ISIS video right as they are showing the beheading of 21 Coptic Christians on the shore in Libya. At the most gruesome point of the explicit video, as men kneeling on the backs of their victims are literally sawing through their necks with knives, those are the words on the screen. Coincidence? This is a thoroughly edited video—it is no coincidence.
Western media overlooks these words. Christians cannot. Theology matters. It matters to worldview as well. And when it comes to ISIS militants, it is vital. That’s one of the reasons secular Westerners can’t seem to predict or anticipate their actions—a secular mindset is not up to the task.
Update Feb. 17, 2015: Thoughts on ISIS, Muhammad, Islam, and FaceBook Comments:
My article from yesterday garnered a lot of response, much of which I found highly disturbing. We talked about the issues raised by recent ISIS atrocities.
On yesterday’s Dividing Line, James White made an important announcement and request:
“Two of the most useful Islamic debates that we’ve done [are now online]… whatever means you have, get [them] out there.”
Here are the debates he was referring to:
Let’s get this video to the widest possible audience, shall we? Link to it, promote it, like it on FaceBook, whatever it takes! Let’s get the word out!
James White and Yusuf Ismail debate the Christology of the Gospel of John, and then the Christology of the Qur’an, in an historic debate in the famous Grey Street Mosque in Durban, South Africa, the home mosque of the late Ahmed Deedat.
Please ask your Muslim friends to consider this debate! Let’s get the word out!
One of the most famous presentations made by the late Ahmed Deedat was his talk, “Crucifixion or Crucifiction?” In this debate from Durban, South Africa, Deedat disciple Ayoob Karim presents Deedat’s arguments in full debate against James White. Judge for yourself how well Deedat’s arguments fare!
James White’s podcast/webcast, The Dividing Line, from Aug. 28, 2014 dealt with a wide range of theological and cultural issues.
Dr. James White taught for Apologia Church’s Biblical Apologetics class. This is the video footage of Dr. White taking our church through a discussion on how to reach Muslims. We learn of the 3-barriers that exist in Muslim and Christian dialogue. Dr. White’s presentation is very helpful and includes portions of his debates with Muslim apologists.
Dr. Bob Gonzales:
In light of September 11th 2001, Christians have been quick to contrast the violent tactics of Islamic Jihad with the gentler tendencies of Christian evangelism. For example, in an article entitled, “Christian or Muslim: What’s the difference?” Lutheran scholar Alvin Schmidt has argued, “Jihad is totally contrary to what Christ taught when he told Peter to put away his sword, or when he told individuals to turn the other cheek. Unlike Muslims, Christians have no command to advance their religion by killing unbelievers. Quite the opposite.”1 The problem with Dr. Schmidt’s article is the same problem that characterizes the arguments of many Christian apologists.
It’s not what they say. It’s what they often fail to say. They are quick to point out many NT passages that portray the gentleness of Christian evangelism. But they rarely ever acknowledge several Old Testament passages in which God commands the Israelites to use violence against entire populations of people in an effort to get control of the land of Canaan. Allow me to cite just a few examples…
Deut 7:1-2; 20:16-17; 1 Sam 15:1-3. Other important passages include Exodus 23:32-33, Exodus 34:12-16, and Numbers 31:7-18. In light of such biblical injunctions, how may we contrast the biblical religion with Islam? Even if we limit the divine injunctions to an earlier stage of redemptive history, we must still justify their presence in an inspired Bible, which is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16). How can the Christian theologically and ethically justify God’s command to exterminate the Canaanites? And can we distinguish the “Holy Wars” of the Old Testament from Islamic Jihad?
[HT: Reformed Baptist Blog]
Re-posted as the last post was causing some errors.
“We continue to pray, brother, the Lord will use you for the defense of the gospel, in various parts of the world.”
– Pastor Robert Briggs
On episode 56 of our interview podcast we have the interview that Pastor Roberts Briggs conducted with James White. This recording is from May 25, 2014 when James White was at Immanuel Baptist Church giving his “Can I Trust the Bible” presentation.
Debate: Can God become man?
Dr. James White vs Bashir Vania
In South Africa on October 2, 2013
— James White (@DrOakley1689) May 19, 2014
In [MAY 19,] 2013 Thabiti Anyabwile went to Dubai to debate a Muslim apologist [Shabir Ally]. The complete video is available here:
Dubai’s 5th Biennial Muslim-Christian Dialogue on May 19, 2013 welcomed over 700 participants in person and hundreds more from at least eight different countries via live stream. This 3 hour event landmark event included persuasive presentations, engrossing dialogue, and unscripted questions and answers with the audience. It’s sure to encourage deeper reflection by individuals of any religious background and prompt bridge-building discussions between Muslims and Christians engaged in conversation about their faith.
The speakers were Shabir Ally and Thabiti Anyabwile.
For more information and to order the entire dialogue on DVD, visit muslimchristiandialogue.org.
Part 1 of 8: Intro – Dialogue in the Middle East – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 2 of 8: Thabiti’s Opening Address – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 3 of 8: Shabir’s Opening Address – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 4 of 8: Speaker’s Responses – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 5 of 8: Speakers’ Q & A Together – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 6 of 8: Audience Q & A – Pt 1 – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 7 of 8: Audience Q & A – Pt 2 – 2013 Dialogue:
Part 8 of 8: Summations & Parting Words – 2013 Dialogue: