On episode 33 of our podcast, we conclude our two part post-debate discussion with Sam Waldron (part 1). The debate two week ago [audio/video] was between Dr. Sam Waldron and Dr. Michael Brown on the thesis “Have the New Testament Charismatic Gifts Ceased?” (Moderated by Dr. James White).
We address questions such as:
- Does your hermeneutical framework make a difference in this debate?
- What about James 5:13-20 and “The Prayer of Faith”?
- Does God still do miracles and miraculous healings?
- Why does the standard of a prophet (Deuteronomy 18:20-22) matter in this debate?
- But doesn’t 2 Sam. 7:1-3 & Acts 21:10-11 show there was true prophets that spoke falsely?
- How can prophecy be canonical if it isn’t in the canon?
- What about the perfect in 1 Cor. 13:8-11?
- What about referring to prophecy as forth-telling, not just and foretelling?
- The Gift of Prophecy in 1 Corinthians by Wayne Grudem
- Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians, 12-14 by D. A. Carson
- The Art of Prophesying by William Perkins
- Recommended by Dr. Waldron:
- Perspectives on Pentecost by Richard Gaffin Jr.
- A Theology of the Holy Spirit by Frederick D. Bruner
- The Spirit of Promise by Donald Macleod
- An Evaluation of Claims to the Charismatic Gifts by Douglas Judisch
- Counterfeit Miracles by B. B. Warfield
- Signs of the apostles: Observations on Pentecostalism Old and New by Walter J Chantry