What does the Bible say about church discipline?
Please join me (Scott Brown), Dr. Joe Morecraft, Jeff Pollard, Dan Horn, Jason Dohm, Dan Ford, Lael Weinberger, and Rob Ventura as we examine what Scripture has to say about this important issue.
This conference will be held at Hope Baptist Church, July 9-11, 2015. To help prepare you for this conference, we would like to give you a copy of Lael Weinberger and Bob Renaud’s book, A Tale of Two Governments for FREE when you register. For more information and to register, go to the conference page. We hope to see you there!
At this conference we will bring an exegetical understanding and practical application of the various texts of Scripture that deal with the matter of discipline in the church. The church today has largely set aside church discipline as one of its ordinary means of grace, and as a result, even pastors are unclear on what the Bible says on the matter.
1. The God Who Disciplines Sons
2. How New Testament Texts are Case Law
3. Church Discipline in History
II. Exposition of Biblical Texts
4. Dealing with the Unforgiving, Matt 18:15-17
5. Dealing with Scandalous Sin, 1 Corinthians 5:11-13
6. Dealing with the Disorderly, 2 Thessalonians 3:6-14
7. Dealing with the Divisive, Romans 16:17-19
8. Dealing with False Teachers, Titus 3:8-11
9. Discipline of Elders, 1 Timothy 5:19-20, Gal 2:11-14
III. Important Issues
10. Understanding Repentance, 2 Corinthians 7:9-12
11. Should Repentance Always Stop the Chastisement?
12. How Should Church Members Treat the Disciplined?
13. The Case for Elder/Presbytery Discipline
14. The Case for Congregational Discipline
15. Q&A Regarding Presbytery or Congregational Discipline
16. Church Membership and Church Discipline
17. How Does the Family Relate to a Father or Mother Who Has Been Excommunicated?
18. Legal Issues Surrounding Church Discipline and the State