Here are abbreviated notes from last Sunday afternoon’s message in the Spurgeon’s Baptist Catechism series:
Q 73: How is the Word to be read and heard that it may become effectual to salvation?
A: That the Word may become effectual to salvation we must attend thereunto with diligence, preparation, and prayer, receive it with faith, and love, lay it up in our hearts, and practice it in our lives.
Here are the catechism’ seven admonitions, along with its seven prooftexts:
- With diligence [Proverbs 8:34]
- With preparation [1 Peter 2:1]
- With prayer [Psalm 119:18]
- Receive it with faith [Hebrews 4:2]
- Receive it with love [2 Thessalonians 2:10]
- Lay it up in our hearts [Psalm 119:11]
- Practice it in our lives [James 1:25]