In Steve Weaver’s post earlier this week we discovered that John Norcott was the Second Pastor of
London’s oldest Baptist church which was then the meeting in the Wapping area of London. [See Ernest F. Kevan, London’s Oldest Baptist Church (London: The Kingsgate Press, 1933) for the remarkable first three hundred years of history of this congregation. The church is still in existence and is now called Church Hill Baptist Church, Walthamstow. Their website is: http://www.chbc.org.uk/.]
The second pastor of this congregation, John Norcott, is believed to have been one of a small number of Baptists who were actually ejected from their pulpits in Church of England in 1662. [For a discussion of the evidence, please see Geoffrey F. Nuttall, “Another Baptist Ejection (1662): The Case of John Norcott” in Pilgrim Pathways: Essays in Baptist History in Honour of B. R. White, eds. William H. Brackney and Paul S. Fiddes with John H. Y. Briggs (Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1999), 185-188.]
It is also noted by Joseph Ivimey that Benjamin Keach published “A Summons to the Grave; being Mr. John Norcot’s Finieral Sermon”. 12mo. 1676 (A History of the English Baptists, Vol. II)
This makes his book one of the earliest on the subject of Baptism.
Below is John Norcott’s “Baptism Discovered Plainly and Faithfully, According to the Word of God“, Third Edition, corrected by William Kiffin, and Richard Claridge, with an Appendix by Another Hand. Re-printed by the Assigns of Widow Norcott